A Tale of Persephone
Saturday,
August 10, 2013, after a second failed attempt at flying back to Anchorage on a
military flight, the Watkins children were happy to spend more time at
grandma's house. Persephone learned to wash dishes.
In the evening, Shari
and I spent some time with the kids outside.
After everyone else decided it was time to go inside, Mikaden and
Persephone were still enjoying playing together on the trampoline. After a while, I decided to change into my
pajamas, thinking I would bring the kiddos inside afterward. As I took off my pants, I could hear
Persephone through my open bedroom window, but wasn't sure if it was playing
noises or crying.
Just then
Mikaden appeared at my bedroom door. I asked,
"Where's Persephone?"
He said,
"She got hurt."
Since I was
now pants-less, I went to the living room doorway, peeked around and told
Shari, "Mikaden says Persephone got hurt, and I can hear her crying."
Shari went
out the back door and called, "Persephone, where are you!?" as she
walked toward the sound of her crying.
Out my
bedroom window, I saw Shari walk across the yard, calling. She then picked up the pace, and when she
reached the point where she could see around the corner of the annex, the
scream of horror that issued forth from her throat sent a chill of terror
through this mother's soul. I ignored
the fact that I had no pants on and ran outside to see if Shari needed my help. Visions of hornets, blood, dangling body
parts, and vicious dogs all ran through my head in an instant as I ran.
Shari had
just come around the corner with Persephone in her arms when I reached them and
asked frantically, "What happened!?"
When Shari
had peered around the corner, she saw Persephone with her hand caught in a rock
tumbler that was still chomping away, pulling her further around the
wheel. Shari dashed over and unplugged
the beast, then carefully wound the wheel the opposite direction and was able
to free Persephone's little finger out from between the belt and the
wheel. Shari said that her pinky looked
flat when she got it out. (Shari adds:That's
about right. You could say that I didn't even notice you weren't wearing pants.
I also didn't remember the pile of junk I must have jumped over to reach
her. All I remember seeing was the wheel eating her hand and the plugs.)
Shari
brought Persephone into the house, I yelled for Kim, but he had his headphones
on, so we went into the office, and Shari pulled them off him. She quickly told him what had happened, and
she laid Persephone carefully on the table.
Persephone was still crying all the while which had the effect of
getting Mikaden and Timpani crying as well.
Anali picked up Timpani to comfort her.
As we
attempted to assess the damage, Persephone refused to let anyone touch her hand
and began calling for a band-aid. Her
hand had grease all over it, but we could see a small cut on each of her two
middle fingers and her pinky was beginning to swell and had a small cut. Three of her fingers seemed a bit misshapen.
Kim
suggested that going to the emergency room would be best, so I asked Shari if
she wanted me to go with her. Without
hesitation she said, "Yes."
I got
dressed, and Kim got a Band-aid to appease the distraught little girl. Shari told him, pointing to the pinky,
"Don't put it on that one."
Kim
replied, "I know."
Next thing
she knew, he had put a Winnie the Pooh band-aid on Persephone's pinky
finger. (Aargh!)
Well, Persephone stopped crying.
During the
three hours at the hospital, they gave her Ibuprofen, took an x-ray of her hand,
discovered no broken bones (hooray), gingerly removed the band-aid using
scissors and tweezers while Persephone cried and screamed (that took two
people), soaked her hand in disinfecting cleansing solution, scrubbed all the
grease off, put ointment and band-aids on the cuts, and placed her hand in a
brace wrapped with an ace bandage so as to immobilize and protect the little
finger.
She fell asleep on the way home
and slept well into the morning the next day.
I am
so grateful that she had no major or permanent damage. I'm so grateful that I was able to
immediately understand what Mikaden said, and that he was guided to come right
away to get help. I'm grateful that
Shari seemed to know just what to do to free her hand from the tumbler. And I'm grateful that Kim was here to give
us guidance (even if he did put the band-aid on the wrong finger).



Comments