Vitamix Adventures
Although Mikaden is ten years old, my cherished Down Syndrome child often acts more like a two year old, but with more strength, height and ingenuity. I'm not sure what put the idea into his head, but for the past several weeks he has shown quite a passion for cooking, or to be more precise, he is aspiring to be a Vitamix Chef. I have attempted to record his adventures, and since I'm accumulating quite a number of them, I decided to put them here in my sorely neglected blog. So here goes:
Aug. 23-24, 2014
He emptied the entire
ten pounds. I am so dumb. No need to give me your advice. I know I should have put it out of his
reach.
Aug. 23-24, 2014
It was Saturday evening, and I was visiting with my daughter-in-law, Elise, and my cousin,
Kathleen (who had stopped here to rest before continuing her journey to
California). Mikaden started fiddling with the DVD player. He came to me and said, "plgrglmf
smoovie."
"Huh? You want to watch a
movie?" I asked.
"Yeah!"
"Which one?"
He showed me the Vitamix Instructional
DVD.
"Oh," I said,
"Smoothie!" so I started the Vitamix movie for him. He watched
intently as the lady demonstrated how to make a Garden Fresh Cocktail, Chicken
Potato Spinach Soup, and Peach Ice Cream.
Later, as I was visiting and not
paying attention to Mikaden, it gradually dawned on me that Mikaden was in the
kitchen doing something. I
went to investigate and found him in the act of dumping the Costco-sized
container of oregano into the Vitamix.
"Stop, stop, stop!" I
exclaimed.
There were about a dozen other containers out on the counter. I
looked inside the Vitamix bowl and discovered water and a mound of herbs and
spices.
"You have to let me help
you," I told him.
"Okay, Mom," he said.
I flushed the mess down the toilet and
washed the Vitamix. I
didn't feel like making a smoothie right then, so I told him we'd make one
"later" with no intention of later being tonight.
After a while, my thirteen year old, Anali, got out some ice
cream and served ice cream cones to Mikaden, Elise and Kathleen, so I didn't
feel at all bad about not making smoothies.
After Jason and Elise had gone home
and Kathleen had gone to bed, Kim made a berry smoothie, but it was right as I
was taking Mikaden up to bed, so Mikaden didn't get any of it.
On
Sunday evening, while Kim and I were watching a movie, Mikaden entertained
himself. As the movie ended, I went to see what Mikaden was up to.
He was back to "cooking" with the Vitamix, of course.
I looked into the Vitamix and found that he had piled it full of
graham crackers, a marshmallow, leftover noodle salad, raw red potatoes and
potatoes from the garden that were still caked with dirt. Mm-m how appealing. I pulled the potatoes out one by one, then
dumped the rest of it in the trash. The marshmallow clung to the side.
"It sticky," Mikaden
informed me. He would know.
I cleaned the Vitamix again.
"Okay, Mikaden," I
said. "Go get the
frozen peaches."
He went out to the freezer and came
back with peaches. He
helped me make peach milkshakes. Very
delicious, but for some strange reason the Vitamix still gives off a whiff of
oregano.
September 11, 2014
CHEF MIKADEN
STRIKES AGAIN
(Sing ominously) Duh duh duh duhmmm!
Mikaden, at 0'dark early, put on his
creative chef hat and once again prepared a most wondrous Vitamix concoction.
This time he really outdid himself, as the following photos will attest.
When we got up and discovered his
work, he was snoozing on the couch.
When he got up he proudly told me
about making Puff Pancakes and demonstrated his skills with flour.
After the photo shoot, he cheerfully
helped Kim and I with the clean up.
Here's
Mikaden's Recipe:
- A handful of baby carrots
- Some shredded cheddar
cheese
- All the milk that's left in the
jug
- As much flour as you can
successfully throw into the Vitamix
- Cold water (he specified that
it was cold)
- Sour cream
- About a cup of baking soda
- Some shakes of Parmesan
- A couple large glugs of
peppermint extract
- About 1/2 cup of ground black
pepper
I considered mixing it all to see
how it would turn out, but the pepper put me off. The mess went into the toilet.
I was very glad that he couldn't get
the lid off the container of xylitol.
I said to Mikaden, "Next time
you want to cook something, come and get me to help you."
He said, "Oh-h-h! Okay,
Mom."
How can I be mad at
him?
Tuesday, October 7,
2014
Kim has renamed our aspiring chef
The Phantom Menace.
Well, The Phantom Menace struck this
morning. I knew right away by the
ghostly footprints on the carpet as I entered the dining room. Uh-oh.
I wonder how bad it is this time.
The menace was watching the loathsome "Wonder Pets" on Netflix
while sporting the apparition look at least as far as his pajamas were
concerned. Peering around the corner,
my eyes confirmed what I already knew, the kitchen was again covered in flour,
though I think not as much as the last time, perhaps due to the fact that the
flour bin had less flour in it than previously.
The sofa, on the other hand,
had quite a bit more flour on it than last time. He had obviously sat in several spots with his flour encased PJs.
Ah, well, I'm super
thrilled that it was just flour this morning.
No muxing with the Vitamix.(Knock on wood.)
Wednesday, October 8,
2014
A day or two ago, a gift arrived
from Sheena for Mikaden: a Vitamix DVD different than the one we already
have. (Are you insane, Sheena? He doesn't need any more inspiration.) I had the DVD sitting on my desk and hadn't
given it to Mikaden, yet, but he spotted it and without me noticing, stole
away with it. Soon I heard the voice of
the Vitamix instructor describing how to make some delicious foods. Mikaden watched it intently while
simultaneously looking through the Vitamix recipe book.
Honest! I do keep an eye on Mikaden (intermittently) and at least one ear is always tuned in, but sometimes I'm fooled into thinking I know where he is when he is actually somewhere else.
His ice cream concoction started
off okay with milk and chocolate syrup, but it went awry when he dumped in the
cup of baking soda. Maybe I should have
mixed it up and made him taste it.
Thursday, October 9,
2014
Kim saw Mikaden reading the cook
book, so he said, "No cooking! NO
Cooking! NO COOKING!!" Mikaden just laughed.
When I started fixing supper,
Mikaden was right there ready to help.
He enthusiastically, opened his book to Peach Ice Cream. I told him, "First things first. First we have to cook supper. Let's cook noodles." He wasn't thrilled about noodles, but I held
him off from the Vitamix.
A while after supper, I said,
"Okay, Mikaden, go get the peaches."
The recipe was simple: milk, sugar,
frozen peaches and vanilla.
Mikaden grabbed the milk and was
about to poor it in, but I stopped him and said, "Wait, I have some cream,
let's use some of that."
"Good idea, mom."
I poured in 1/2 a cup of cream and
1/2 a cup of milk. Then we measured the
1/4 cup of xylitol (instead of sugar) and Mikaden poured it into the Vitamix. Next, I put the peaches in the microwave for
a minute, so they wouldn't be a solid block.
Then, I rinsed my hands at the sink, and when I turned back around,
there was Mikaden pouring mint extract into the Vitamix, glug, glug, glug.
"STOP!" I yelled, and
grabbed the bottle out of his hand.
"What are you doing?!"
I ranted a while to Mikaden's amusement.
How did he get a hold of the mint so quickly? And it doesn't help that most of my food stuffs are the jumbo size.
Well, I thought, we could
turn it into chocolate mint something.
I added some more milk and some chocolate syrup and mixed it up. It smelled marvelous. Then I stuck a spoon in and gave it a
taste. Anali thought the face I made
was hilarious.
"Ble-e-e-eck!!" I was
making all kinds of sounds and contortions, but maybe not real words.
Watching me, Mikaden stood there,
fascinated. Then I got another spoonful
and put it in his mouth. His
reaction mimicked mine, and we both laughed and Anali laughed.
I worked on the concoction some
more, gradually filling up the Vitamix bowl.
I got it to where it was almost drinkable and handed a cup of it to
Kim. He took a sip and made a face.
I laughed and said, "It clears
out your sinuses, doesn't it!"
Kim stalwartly kept sipping until
the whole cup was drained. I, on the
other hand, deciding not to torture myself, poured the rest of it into paper
cups and put them in the freezer.
Later, I can use one cup at a time to make a batch of mint milkshakes.
Mikaden must have poured in enough
mint extract to make 4 gallons of ice cream.
After that fiasco, neither of us had
any interest in making peach ice cream, so the peaches went back to the freezer
to be used another day.
Saturday, October 11,
2014
Stealth Chef has created a new
recipe--odd, yet tantalizing. I almost
want to try it.
- 4 cups milk
- all the sour cream that's left
in the container
- Chocolate syrup
- Maple syrup (the real,
expensive kind)
- Parmesan cheese
- Finely shredded cheddar/jack
cheese
- Barbeque sauce
- 1 cup fresh whole cranberries
The great thing about this recipe is
that it does NOT call for flour.
When Mikaden crawled into bed with
me early this morning I was actually thinking, "Oh, good, he's not cooking
this morning." I was wrong.
Well, I don't want my little chef to
loose heart with nothing but failures, so I had him help me with one of his
favorite recipes, Dutch Puff Pancakes. (He is part Dutch.) We can claim it a roaring and puffy success. Simple and delicious.
Dutch Puff Pancake
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 Tablespoons butter or coconut
oil
Beat eggs in mixing bowl. Add flour, milk and salt. Mix well.
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Melt butter or coconut oil and pour into a 9"x13" cake pan or
casserole. Carefully tip pan to roll
the butter around and coat the sides.
Pour batter into pan. Bake for
17-20 minutes. It will puff up high,
then fall as it cools. Eat with syrup,
jam, honey, fresh fruit or yogurt.
May I recommend you try the second
recipe rather than the first.
Sunday, October 12,
2014
I woke and struggled to extricate
myself from the wedged position I was in, between Kim and Mikaden, then
staggered to the bathroom. There I
found Mikaden's pajamas on the floor. No-o-o-o-o.
I am officially not smart. Those pajamas are covered with FLOUR! I can't believe I didn't see that one
coming. When we made Dutch Puff Pancakes
yesterday, I refilled the empty flour bin with 10 pounds of flour.
I looked into the kitchen. Dang!
This was not cooking. This was
unadulterated, complete and absolute playing.
Oh, the thrill of the soft powdery stuff between your fingers and seeing
how it falls like snow and piles up in drifts.
See how it clings to things and how you can leave footprints wherever
you go.
Well, he's not going to find any
flour tomorrow.





Comments
What adventures in the pantry.
That was a good one Sheena ...the perfect gift for Mikaden ...ha ha ha ...and the perfect 'injury to insult' for Mom:-D
Good thing you have the patience of Job Linda.
Lot's of love,
Elizabeth
Sorry Mom. ~Sheena
Love and miss you guys! Wish some things were easier.
May the adventures of Chef Phantom Menace continue!!! :-)